Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Banana Spiced Protein Detox Shake

This healthy, creamy banana smoothie is so good, you might mistake it for a milkshake!

What do you do when your 16 month old toddler wakes up on the WRONG side of the bed? (Miss Little Cranky Pants!!!)

No, you don't hide in a closet...although this might seem tempting at times... :)

You eat a mood-boosting, energy-packed breakfast to keep you going...and you do some yoga while the cranky, but adorable little one takes her nap! Don't get me wrong, though! I love this little munchkin to the moon and back! But, on days like this, I am grateful that she takes a nap, so even if I can't get away to the studio to practice, I can roll out my yoga mat in my bathroom, crank up the heat a little, and ta-da! My very own, private yoga studio! :)

Oh, and this shake!! It is sure to keep you on your toes!

I LOVE me some chai tea, but I only drink herbal teas, so when I find an herbal tea that tastes like chai, I stock up!! Seriously! You should see my pantry! It is like 50% herbal teas and 50% everything else! :)


Right now, this is my favorite tea! There are a long list of herbs in it, but some you might recognize are cinnamon bark, sarsaparilla root, ginger root, licorice root, dandelion root, and cardamom seed. These herbs helps support healthy liver and kidney functions and reduce bloating and water retention. So, of course I drink a ton of this stuff!

But, I need more than just tea for breakfast, so I pack my other staples into my Vita Mix for a detoxifying, high energy smoothie!

The WHAT and WHYs:
Detox Tea = healthy liver and kidney functions and reduce bloating / water retention
Bananas = mood booster, energy source, and so much more!
Rolled Oats = helps keep you full along with other digestive benefits
Protein Powder = PROTEIN
Cinnamon = Natural metabolism booster

Put this all together and you get a whole lot of delicious awesomeness! :)

Banana Spiced Protein Detox Shake

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Yogi's Detox Tea (steep 2 bags per 1 cup hot water)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any other kind of milk)
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 to 1 scoop vanilla protein powder of choice (I use the Life's Basics Plant Protein Mix in Natural Vanilla like in my Cucumber Coconut Smoothie)
  • 1 medium banana, frozen overnight
  • dash cinnamon
  • Honey, agave, or stevia liquid or powder to taste (optional)
Directions
  1. Steep tea and refrigerate overnight. Place peeled banana in freezer overnight.
  2. In the morning, add all ingredients together in Vita Mix or other blender and blend until smooth.
  3. Slowly savor every bit! Or inhale, like me! 


It's so good you might even mistake it for a milkshake! :)

And what's even better is that my little munchkin woke up from her nap on the RIGHT side of the bed! She was all smiles and laughs the rest of the day! This day turned out pretty good!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I love this one. I have been having this for breakfast a lot lately...even adding in a handful of spinach! YUM! :)

      Delete