Sunday, September 8, 2013

Yoga Is Just A Study Hall (Plus, Stay Tuned for Building Strength and Flexibility at Home)

Have you ever been so excited to master a pose in your yoga class? Maybe Handstand or actually balancing in Balancing Half Moon (Ardha Chandrasana) for more than half a second! Feels pretty awesome, right!? I am completely guilty of running straight home to tell my hubby what yogic asana epiphany I just had! (He usually just responds with a "That's nice, babe." He obviously isn't "yoga crazy" like I am.)

But, what you might find yourself doing more of is grading each pose that you come into, even comparing yourself to others. For instance, I could say, "Wow! I actually got into Full Camel (yes, that is me in the picture below), but really I could work on pushing my hips forward a little more and walking my hands further up my feet so that my elbows come down onto the ground, so really I only get a B+."



STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!!!

Your yoga practice is NOT a test where each pose gets a grade!! That isn't how this works! I actually like to compare yoga to study hall. What?! Why study hall, you ask? Well, because! That's why!

Ok, ok...well, we practice yoga to bring awareness to our breathe and consciousness to what is going on in our bodies and around us in the present moment, not only for the 60-90 minutes that you might practice per day or every other day, but to start to make that awareness and consciousness a habit that will start to seep out into our lives 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. So, really, everyday life is the test and yoga is just the study hall that helps us prepare for it. My hubby is actually spot-on in his response to me. That IS nice that you feel accomplished by finally being able to come into a pose you never thought you would get. No need to down play that. But, that really isn't why you show up to your mat over and over again, is it? (I see you shaking your head NO). :)

So, while my full camel may not be "picture perfect," at least I won't be graded on it. The test is, can I take that same awareness, calmness, and consciousness off my mat and into my life?

The answer.....I try...and if I fail today I get to wake up tomorrow and try again. :) 

Stay tuned for Part 2 - Building Strength and Flexibility at Home with one simple sequence. One of my oldest and dearest friends, Lisa Howard, writes a blog called Yuppie Farm Girl, and will be featuring Part 2 of this post on Tuesday, September 10th. Be sure to check out her blog! She is amazing! Her and I have been friends for almost 15 years, and have always been kindred spirits. Although she now resides in Arizona with her adorable little family, I am excited to be able to stay connected with her through our efforts to lead healthy, wholesome lives for both ourselves and our families.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren I love this post!! I cannot wait to have you as a guest blogger on Tuesday - so excited. It is kinda like a sleep over... with out feeling like you got hit by a truck the next day because you didn't have your own pillow. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA!! Like that time after the Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Concert in 2000 when your little orange kitty slept on my tummy all night long and I didn't want to disrupt his sleep to roll over and I still had to get up at 6am for work! HAHAHA! Yep! I am so excited too! And excited to have you as a guest blogger soon as well(oops...spilled the beans)!

      Delete